Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Pachyderm-ingly Huge Jellybean Incident!



Last Tuesday was a normal day at Animal Adventures Inc. (AAI.). In fact, “normal” doesn't cut it – it was boring! There was absolutely nothing going on. I was sitting in my office at Smiley's News working on an advertisement bulletin, Daniel P. Smithwater was taking some nature photographs for an upcoming photo competition and everyone else at AAI. was doing . . . well, practically normal stuff. That is until the head chef of AAI.'s kitchen, Chef Rack-Coon (who as you might have guessed, is a raccoon) received his latest shipment of food supplies in. “I get as much organic food as I can to cook-up dishes for everyone here,” says Rack, “and most of it comes from Mac Dee Dee's Organic Farm across town. They have almost everything you can imagine! That's a good thing too, because the sauropods (long-necked dinosaurs) we have here eat a lot of food!” So as usual, Rack and his assistant chefs (most of which are meerkats) put the food away and started fixing lunch for the animals and people at AAI. Mitch Meerkat, Rack's right hand man . . . er, “cook” is quoted for saying, “As usual, lunchtime was very buys. Everyone ate their fill and left stuffed. Today was a special day because the other chefs and I made a special dessert for today: Jellybean pops, and as we later found out, that turned out to be a dangerous mistake!” Normally, Rack orders jellybeans that are sweetened with organic sugar, but since his suppliers didn't have those jellybeans, Rack ordered jellybeans that had been sweetened with Sweet Common Juniper Berries, one of the sweetest berries around . . . bad idea! So after lunch, everyone went back to their normal routine when many citizens of AAI. realized that there was much noise coming from the elephant's room. Now there are quite a few large elephants (African and Asian Elephants and Woolly Mammoths) and when a herd of elephants gets rumbling, not much can't be heard! The music was piping loud and their neighbors couldn't get much quiet. Now that something bizarre was happening, my trusty, junior photographer, Daniel P. Smithwater and I, went to the neighbors of the elephants, the swine's room, to get an exclusive interview with Wilbur the Warthog. He's quoted for saying, “I was surprised to hear so much noise coming from the elephant's room. Normally they're relatively quiet neighbors, but let me tell you, they were going nuts today! I went over to their room and asked Methuselah, one of the bull African elephants, to have him tell the rest of the herd to turn down the music, but he told me, 'What do you mean turn it down? I can hardly hear as it is. Besides, we're having a party in our room right now.' He asked if I wanted to join, but I swiftly declined. I wasn't sure what was up.” Another resident, Grizzly Bear, also wasn't too fond of the noise. “I have to live with someone who doesn't like to stay quiet every single day,” he explains. “I live in this apartment room with a few other bears, but no doubt the noisiest is Belle Black Bear, but everyone calls her 'Little Black Bear'. She's constantly singing annoying songs, and worst of all, she's almost always off-key! But this particular day, I thought I'd finally get some quiet time when the elephants a couple apartment rooms down started making a great kerfuffle. It was terribly loud!” A number of complaints reached the CEO of AAI., Nigel Milligan who was, as the time having lunch with his close friend Dr. Elizabeth Sorkin. Nigel is quoted for saying, “The complaints from other animals living here at AAI. kept coming and coming and coming! They wouldn't stop, so eventually, I went down the elephant's apartment room and tried to get them to quiet down, but they still didn't listen. Dr. Sorkin told me that elephants can be a bit noisy by nature, but this was over the top.” “After all,” Dr. Sorkin says, “wild elephants in nature don't through parties with noisy monitors blaring loudly.” So Dr. Sorkin, being AAI.'s head veterinarian, did some research. “After retrieving a list of foods from Rack of what he'd been serving at lunch, I did some research on Wikipedia and learned something new about a little fruit called Juniperus communis sweeticus, also known as the Sweet Common Juniper berry.” Dr. Sorkin went on to explain that juniper berries aren't really berries, but actually berry-like seed cones. “While doing my research, I learned that elephants shouldn't be fed this species of juniper berry because it makes them hyper, and as we found out today, really hyper!” So Dr. Sorkin and Nigel went over to the elephant's place, removed their stash of jellybeans and half an hour later they calmed down. Methuselah realizes their mistake and happily apologizes, saying, “We really had no idea those berries affected elephants in that way. I mean, how were we supposed to know? But I hope I everyone is definitely going to be sleeping well tonight!” Rack wasn't too happy about the incident with the jellybeans either. Hoping to get more details about the jellybeans they ordered, I went back to Rack-Coon and got this response: “I don't know why we ordered those jellybeans in the first place. Who's idea was it to order those things anyway?” Then Mitch came in and promptly answered, “It was your idea, Rack-Coon.” Then Rack said to me, “Well, I know one thing: next time my supplier runs out of jellybeans, I can assure you I'm not getting any with juniper berry substitutes!” And I for one definitely agree that that's a marvelous idea!

Written by: Mr. Smiley
Photographer: Daniel P. Smithwater
Edited by: Christian Ryan, Joy Hammond

*Advertisement*

We here at Smiley’s News, I have been working night and day to get articles ready. I could really use some help! So we are looking for people interested in writing (especially kids and teens). If you are interested, PLEASE(!) send an email to animaladventures@aol.com and save me from working night and day! I’m exhausted!


Weekly Cartoons




Next Issue: The Mouse Lake Monster

No comments:

Post a Comment