Friday, March 20, 2015

The Caper in the Nighttime

“I'd like to know what happened to my carrot cake that was going to be for a party next week,” Lizzy announces, turning toward Jack the Jackrabbit.
“Oh sure, blame it on the rabbit!” Jake exclaims. “I don't even like carrots.”
“Well, who else ate my cake?” Lizzy asks.
Jake shrugs.
“You're very helpful,” she mutters.
“You're welcome,” He accepts.
Lizzy sighs and heads over to Mr. Smiley's office.
“Hey Mr. Smiley, do you know what happened to my carrot cake? I left it in the fridge last night and..what are you doing?” she yells.
Mr. Smiley is standing dangerously on a his tiptoes on top of a chair while trying to fix the light bulb on the ceiling light. Then the chair tips and Mr. Smiley comes crashing down, light bulb with it.
“Um...are you all right?” Lizzy asks.
“I'm fine...I was uh, just fixing the light. It was driving me crazy, all that flickering,” Mr. Smiley states.
“You could have just used the ladder,” Lizzy points out.
“Yeah well, I would've, but I couldn't find it,” he answers.
“It's usually in the closet,” she suggests. “Did you check the kitchen?”
Mr. Smiley nods his head.
“I looked everywhere and finally I just gave up,” He informs.
“That's weird,” Lizzy remarks. “Well, I need to go find my cake but if I see the ladder, I'll put it back where it belongs.”
“Thanks,” Mr. Smiley says, trying to clean up the broken glass.
Lizzy heads over to the kitchen. Maybe Chef Rack-coon moved it somewhere safe. As she arrives in the kitchen, Lizzy finds the place a mess and Chef Rack-coon is looking through a cabinet.
“Hey have you seen my carrot cake?” Lizzy asks. “You know with the yellow and white icing?”
Chef Rack-coon gets out from under the counter.
“You mean the cake that was left in the fridge last night?” he repeats.
“Yeah!” Lizzy exclaims.
“Never saw it this morning,” he recalls. “It wasn't wrapped properly so I did that so it would stay fresh overnight.”
“Oh, so you haven't seen it since?” Lizzy states.
“Nope, sorry,” Chef Rack-coon reconciles, “I would help you look but I've got other problems.”
“Like what?” Lizzy asks.
“I can't seem to find my favorite rolling pin. I must have misplaced it but I could've sworn I put it back where it belongs.”
“Oh.”
“By the way, have you asked Jack about your carrot cake?” Chef Rack-coon inquires, “maybe he ate it.”
“Why is everyone accusing me!” yells a voice in another room. “I HATE CARROTS!!!”

Where could Lizzy's carrot cake be? What happened to the ladder and Chef Rack-coon's favorite rolling pin? Who took them and why? Jack!

It isn't me!” Jack wails.

Written by: Mr. Smiley
Photographer: Daniel P. Smithwater
Edited by: Christian Ryan


Weekly Cartoons


Next Issue: Rerun Article: Riverville's Potential is Bunnyville!

No comments:

Post a Comment