Friday, December 26, 2014

AAI.'s First-Ever Christmas Spelling Bee



(Image will be uploaded soon)

In case you haven't noticed, we here at Animal Adventures Inc. (AAI.) love Christmastime! I love everything about Christmas! I love the festivities, the snow, Christmas movies (Lizzy, Daniel and I normally start watching them in October) Christmas cards, Christmas presents (which we like to open after Christmas), the decorations, the Christmas trees  and of course, the true meaning for the season: the birth of Jesus Christ. Another thing I love is the Christmas carols! They always mentally take me back in time whenever I sing them, because they were songs I and many others often sang as a child. Who couldn't love them?

In fact, Christmas carols are what inspired AAI.'s upcoming event: our first-ever Christmas-themed spelling bee! The event will be held in AAI.'s head chef Rack-coon's Cafe and it will be headed by Mrs. Lohan Gregor. As usual, when we heard the event was going to happen, my trusty, junior photographer, Daniel P. Smithwater and I went over to the Gregor household to get an exclusive interview with Mrs. Gregor. When asked what led her to do this, she was quoted for saying, “I was inspired by my favorite Christmas carol, 'The 12 Days of Christmas'. Just the other day, I was singing 'On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me eight maids 'a milking...' and this made me think of milk, and that in turn made me think of figgy pudding, and about how funny the word is. I mean, everyone sings about it, but only a few people actually know what it is. This made me think of Christmas words in general...[and] I finally thought it would be fun to spell out all the popular Christmas words.”

Even though it's taking place two days after Christmas, there has been much interest in the project and many kids living at AAI. have signed up to take part in the AAI. Christmas Spelling Bee. So far, the contestants are as follows:

  • Ryan Gregor
  • Tiger Stevenson
  • Claire Stegosaurus
  • Rooney the Red Kangaroo
  • Max the African Elephant
  • Little Clint the T. rex
  • Cassie the African buffalo
  • Gordo the Spider Monkey
  • Belle Black Bear (or as she's better known, “Little Black Bear”)
  • Thalia the Bengal Tiger

Submissions for new admissions into the spelling bee were closed four weeks ago, and Mrs. Gregor says that the contestants have been studying all the words ever since. “I'm going to be the announcer who quizzes the children,” says Mrs. Gregor. “I don't exactly have to remember anything, but I like knowing what words I'll be asking them to spell out. It's going to be a lot of fun!”

For anyone interested, the event will take place at AAI.'s Rack-coon's Cafe on December 27, 2014. I think those in attendance will have a holly, jolly good time! That's H-O-L-L-Y J-O-L...

Written by: Mr. Smiley
Photographer: Daniel P. Smithwater
Edited by: Christian Ryan


Weekly Cartoons


Next Issue: Rerun Article: Waking the Sleeping Dinosaurs

No comments:

Post a Comment