Friday, August 29, 2014

Lizzy and Lily's Shrimp Scampi Recipe

Shrimp scampi! This looks delicious! Keep reading to learn how to make your own!
“Hello folks, Lizzy here!” I yell, “I'm making a new dish that I've never actually tried before!”
“I'm Lily,” stated the other lizard. “Lizzy, always forgetting to introduce me.”
Lily rolls her eyes and grabs out the cookbook.
“Anyway, today we're cooking up a tasty dish, Shrimp Scampi!” I exclaim.
“Uh . . . how would you know that it's tasty . . . you've never had it!” Lily stated. “Okay, now let's get cooking! First we'll need 2 Tablespoons of butter, 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, 2 to 3 cloves of garlic, minced...”
“What does minced mean?” I asked.
“Ugh! You're such a Rookie! 'Minced' means to really finely chop,” Lily informed. “Now the other ingredients we need are one small onion, chopped. 1 lb. lg. shrimp, peeled and deveined . . .”
“What does deveined mean?” I asked, while grabbing the ingredients out of the fridge.
Lily smacks her forehead.
“Deveined . . . it's exactly what it sounds like . . . take out the dorsal vein of the shrimp,” she announced. “Back to the ingredients, we also need salt and pepper for tasting, ½ cup of chicken bouillon, paprika, and cooked pasta or rice.”
“Okay then, the first step says to melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and add the olive oil,” I read. “What temperature should we put the stove on?”
“To be safe, I think I'll turn it on to three,” Lily answered.
“Next, saute the minced garlic and chopped-in butter/oil.” I stated. “Lily, what does saute mean?”
“Saute means to well . . . it's easier to explain,” Lily added.
Lily put the minced garlic and chopped-in butter into the heavy saucepan. She began to stir the ingredient carefully and slowly until the garlic was nicely cooked.
“Oh . . . okay,” I dismiss. “Next, add the shrimp, some salt and pepper, and cook it for four to five minutes until the shrimp turns pink. Now add the chicken bouillon to the pan and heat thoroughly.”
Lily did as the recipe told and soon the kitchen smelled of a delicious aroma.
“Last step, sprinkle paprika over the shrimp and serve over pasta or rice,” I exclaim. “You did prepare the pasta . . . right?”
Lily paused, “No, that was you're job.”
“Oh . . .”
I hurry and fix up the pasta and soon enough the table was set. We dived into the meal and smiled. It was delicious.
“It's an oriental dish right?” I asked, licking my lips.
Lily smacks her forehead.
“No, Lizzy. It's an American dish.”

Written by: Lizzy the Lizard
Photographer: Daniel P. Smithwater
Edited by: Christian Ryan, Joy Hammond and Mr. Smiley.

Weekly Cartoons


Next Issue: The Great Dolphin Rescue

No comments:

Post a Comment